Zippy Macaroni and Cheese
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 25 min.
- 1-1/3 cups uncooked elbow macaroni
- 1 cup 4% cottage cheese
- 1 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 small onion, grated
- 1/4 cup finely chopped green pepper
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/2 cup crushed cornflakes
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- Preheat oven to 350°. Cook macaroni according to package directions; drain. Add cottage, mozzarella and cheddar cheeses; set aside.
- In a large saucepan, combine cornstarch and milk until smooth. Stir in onion, green pepper, mustard, salt and pepper flakes. Bring to a boil; cook and stir 2 minutes or until thickened. Pour over macaroni mixture; gently stir to coat.
- Transfer to a greased 2-qt. baking dish. Combine cornflakes and butter; sprinkle over top. Bake, uncovered, 25-30 minutes or until bubbly and the top is golden brown.
Nov 7, 2017
This recipe is excellent. I'm always looking for new ways to make mac & cheese and this is one of the best ones I've tried. It has a little bit of a bite, and I loved the flavor the Dijon mustard gives to it. Only change I made was using saltines instead of cornflakes. Will definitely make again.