- 1-1/3 cups uncooked elbow macaroni
- 1 cup (8 ounces) small-curd cottage cheese
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1 cup milk
- 1 small onion, grated
- 1/4 cup finely chopped green pepper
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/2 cup crushed cornflakes
- 1 tablespoon butter or margarine, melted
- Cook macaroni according to package directions; drain. Add cottage cheese, mozzarella cheese and cheddar cheese; set aside.
- In a saucepan, combine cornstarch and milk until smooth. Stir in the onion, green pepper, mustard, salt and red pepper flakes. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Pour over macaroni mixture; gently stir to coat.
- Transfer to a greased 2-qt. baking dish. Combine cornflakes and butter; sprinkle over the top. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until bubbly and the top is golden brown. Yield: 4 servings.
Reviews forZippy Macaroni and Cheese
"This recipe is excellent. I'm always looking for new ways to make mac & cheese and this is one of the best ones I've tried. It has a little bit of a bite, and I loved the flavor the Dijon mustard gives to it. Only change I made was using saltines instead of cornflakes. Will definitely make again."