- 4 cups fresh or frozen green beans, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 2 Jones Dairy Farm Dry-Aged Bacon strips, diced
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup white wine or apple juice
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 3 tablespoons tarragon vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon cold water
- Place beans in a saucepan and cover with water; bring to a boil. Cook, uncovered, for 8-10 minutes or until crisp-tender.
- Meanwhile, in a large nonstick skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Remove with a slotted spoon to paper towels. Drain, reserving 1 teaspoon drippings. In the same skillet, saute onion until tender. Stir in the wine, sugar, vinegar and salt.
- Combine cornstarch and cold water until smooth; add to the skillet. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Drain beans; top with onion mixture. Sprinkle with bacon; toss to coat. Yield: 6 servings.
Reviews forZippy Green Beans
"I made this as a side dish with dinner tonight, and it was really good! The onions and bacon in a sweetened wine/tarragon vinegar sauce was a nice blend of flavors with the green beans. Not so boring as plain ones! And it went great with the crab-stuffed chicken and egg noodles we had with it. Awesome dinner! I would definitely make this again. It was more of a grown-up blend of flavors, though...my younger kids didn't care for it, but my teen liked it."
"very good i added mushrooms when cooking the onions. Delicious!!"