"Prepare a loaf of this tasty bread while your steaks are on the grill," urges Sue Mackey of Galesburg, Illinois. "It's quick, easy to make and oh-so-good with its creamy filling," she assures. "Add a salad to complete the menu."
Recommended: 45 Thanksgiving Appetizers to Feed a Crowd
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 2 packages (3 ounces each) cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 cup butter or margarine, softened
- 2 tablespoons minced chives
- 2 to 4 teaspoons prepared horseradish
- 1 loaf (1 pound) French bread
- In a small mixing bowl, beat the cream cheese, butter, chives and horseradish until combined. Cut the bread into 1-in. slices to within 1/2 in. of bottom. Spread cream cheese mixture between slices. Wrap the loaf in a large piece of heavy-duty foil (about 28 in. x 18 in.). Bake at 400° for 14-17 minutes or until heated through. Yield: 10 servings.
Originally published as Zippy French Bread in Quick Cooking July/August 2000, p8