Zippy Cream of Asparagus Soup
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 3 cups cut fresh asparagus (1-inch pieces)
- 2-1/2 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 3 ounces fat-free cream cheese, cubed
- 2 tablespoons reduced-fat sour cream
- 1 tablespoon snipped fresh dill or 1 teaspoon dill weed
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- In a large saucepan coated with cooking spray, saute onion and garlic until tender. Add the asparagus, broth and red pepper flakes. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10-15 minutes or until asparagus is tender.
- Place a third of the mixture in a blender; add cream cheese, sour cream and dill. Cover and process until smooth; return to pan. Cook over medium heat until heated through. Sprinkle with nutmeg.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 91 calories, 2g fat (0 saturated fat), 7mg cholesterol, 192mg sodium, 11g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 0 fiber), 8g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 1/2 starch, 1/2 fat.
Mar 4, 2016
I served this on toast and changed the chicken broth to 3/4 cup half and half and added chicken granules. I deleted the cream cheese. I was looking for some spices to use with asparagus to jazz it up and was glad to find it in this recipe. I will make again.
Jan 21, 2012
I have been making this recipe for years. It's so good and very easy to make.
May 2, 2009
Excellent! Thanks for sharing this recipe. I am going to freeze my asparagus from the garden and give this a try that way too. Jodi
Apr 28, 2008
This was very good, quick and easy to prepare.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.