Zippy Cream of Asparagus Soup
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 3 cups cut fresh asparagus (1-inch pieces)
- 2-1/2 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 3 ounces fat-free cream cheese, cubed
- 2 tablespoons reduced-fat sour cream
- 1 tablespoon snipped fresh dill or 1 teaspoon dill weed
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- In a large saucepan coated with cooking spray, saute onion and garlic until tender. Add the asparagus, broth and red pepper flakes. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10-15 minutes or until asparagus is tender.
- Place a third of the mixture in a blender; add cream cheese, sour cream and dill. Cover and process until smooth; return to pan. Cook over medium heat until heated through. Sprinkle with nutmeg.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 91 calories, 2g fat (0 saturated fat), 7mg cholesterol, 192mg sodium, 11g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 0 fiber), 8g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 1/2 starch, 1/2 fat.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Mar 4, 2016
I served this on toast and changed the chicken broth to 3/4 cup half and half and added chicken granules. I deleted the cream cheese. I was looking for some spices to use with asparagus to jazz it up and was glad to find it in this recipe. I will make again.
Jan 21, 2012
I have been making this recipe for years. It's so good and very easy to make.
May 2, 2009
Excellent! Thanks for sharing this recipe. I am going to freeze my asparagus from the garden and give this a try that way too. Jodi
Apr 28, 2008
This was very good, quick and easy to prepare.