Zippy Chipotle Butternut Squash Soup
The combination of butternut squash and apples in this soup reminds me of autumn, which is my favorite season. The spicy chipotle peppers add some zip. Leave them out if you prefer less heat. —Andrea Gilkenson, Wausau, Wisconsin
Total TimePrep: 35 min. Cook: 40 min.
Makes12 servings (3 quarts)
- 1 medium butternut squash (3-1/2 to 4 pounds), peeled, seeded and cubed
- 2 medium carrots, chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 medium tart apples, peeled and cubed
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) chicken broth
- 1 cup unsweetened apple cider or juice
- 1 chipotle pepper in adobo sauce, seeded and chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- In a Dutch oven, saute the squash, carrots, onion and celery in butter for 5 minutes. Add apples and garlic; cook 3 minutes longer. Stir in the broth, apple cider, chipotle pepper and salt. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer until vegetables are tender, 20-25 minutes.
- Cool slightly. In a blender, process soup in batches until smooth. Return all to pan and heat through. Stir in sour cream (do not boil).
Editor's NoteWear disposable gloves when cutting hot peppers; the oils can burn skin. Avoid touching your face.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 136 calories, 5g fat (3g saturated fat), 16mg cholesterol, 594mg sodium, 22g carbohydrate (9g sugars, 5g fiber), 2g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 starch, 1 fat.
Originally published as Spicy Butternut Squash Soup in Taste of Home Winning Recipes 3
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.