Zippy Chicken Noodle Casserole
Cayenne pepper gives a little zip to this creamy chicken bake. It's one of my most-requested dishes for potluck dinners and other get-togethers. I sometimes use spinach noodles in place of the egg noodles.—Cheryl Davidson, Fulshear, Texas
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 30 min.
- 5 cups uncooked egg noodles
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 cups 2% milk
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 2 cups sour cream
- 1 can (4 ounces) mushroom stems and pieces, drained
- 1 jar (4 ounces) diced pimientos, drained
- 3 teaspoons dried parsley flakes
- 2 teaspoons seasoned salt
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 4 cups diced cooked chicken
- 1/4 cup dry bread crumbs
- 2 tablespoons shredded Parmesan cheese
- Cook noodles according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, melt butter; stir in flour until smooth. Gradually add milk and broth. Bring to a boil. Cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from the heat. Stir in the sour cream, mushrooms, pimientos and seasonings. Drain pasta.
- In a greased 3-qt. baking dish, layer half of the noodles, chicken and sauce. Repeat layers. Combine bread crumbs and Parmesan cheese. Sprinkle over top.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until bubbly.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 315 calories, 16g fat (9g saturated fat), 97mg cholesterol, 615mg sodium, 21g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 1g fiber), 20g protein.
Originally published as Chicken Noodle Casserole in Quick Cooking January/February 2004
Oct 2, 2010
I thought this was very good, but nothing extraordinary. I put in the larger amount of pepper and cayenne pepper..first bite I thought a little too spicy, but not too bad after a couple of bites. My 17 month old ate it up!