Zippy Chicken Coleslaw
Total TimePrep: 40 min. Cook: 10 min.
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 pound boneless skinless chicken breast
- 1 package (3 ounces) hot and spicy ramen noodles
- 4 cups shredded cabbage
- 2 cups broccoli coleslaw mix
- 3 green onions, chopped
- 2 tablespoons sesame seeds, toasted
- 2 tablespoons sliced almonds, toasted
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 4-1/2 teaspoons cider vinegar
- 2-1/4 teaspoons water
- 2-1/4 teaspoons canola oil
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- In a small bowl, combine the first eight ingredients; rub over both sides of chicken. Broil 3-4 in. from the heat for 5-6 minutes on each side or until a thermometer reads 170°. When chicken is cool enough to handle, shred with two forks; cool completely.
- Set aside seasoning packet from ramen noodles. Break noodles into small pieces; place in a large bowl. Add the cabbage, broccoli coleslaw, onions, sesame seeds, almonds and chicken.
- In a jar with a tight-fitting lid, combine the dressing ingredients. Add the contents of seasoning packet; shake well. Pour over coleslaw; toss to coat.
Nutrition Facts2/3 cup: 132 calories, 5g fat (1g saturated fat), 14mg cholesterol, 405mg sodium, 15g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 2g fiber), 8g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 lean meat, 1/2 fat.
Feb 22, 2014
Followed the recipe to the letter...delicious...next time I might try chow mein noodles instead of ramen noodles.
Aug 3, 2010
My family often requests this. I've made it more times than I can count!
Jan 28, 2010
I have made this many times and also have left out the chicken. Everyone likes it, even my kids.
Jan 20, 2010
I have made this recipe many times and taken it to our weekly dinners at church. There is never any leftover. I sometimes make it without the chicken.