Zippy Beef Fiesta
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 35 min.
- 1-1/2 pounds ground beef
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 cups water
- 2 cans (8 ounces each) tomato sauce
- 2 tablespoons vinegar
- 12 corn tortillas (6 inches)
- 2 cups shredded process cheese (Velveeta)
- 1 can (2-1/4 ounces) sliced ripe olives, drained
- In a skillet, cook beef and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in flour and seasonings until blended. Add the water, tomato sauce and vinegar; cook for 10 minutes or until heated through. Cut each tortilla into six wedges.
- In a greased 13x9-in. baking dish, layer half of the tortillas, meat mixture, cheese and olives; repeat layers. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 35 minutes or until heated through.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 349 calories, 17g fat (8g saturated fat), 60mg cholesterol, 970mg sodium, 26g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 4g fiber), 24g protein.
Sep 7, 2014
Makes a lot! Makes a mess of the kitchen. I was concerned it was going to be 'soupy' but it thickened up nicely when it baked. I added more cheese than it called for (about 12oz total) and I wasn't sorry.
Jun 23, 2009
For my husband & myself, I would leave out the olives but top it off with sour cream. Sounds really good.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.