Zippy Beef Fajitas
This is a flavorful and fast way to prepare steak filling for fajitas. The yummy flavor comes aromatic ingredients like garlic and gingerroot. There's even a can of cola in the recipe.—Laurie Sadowski, Catharines, Ontario
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 6 hours
- 1 beef flank steak (1-1/2 pounds)
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 2 teaspoons crushed red pepper flakes
- 3/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, cut into strips
- 1 medium green pepper, cut into strips
- 1 can (12 ounces) cola
- 5 green onions, chopped
- 1/3 cup soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh gingerroot
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 6 flour tortillas (8 inches), warmed
- Cut steak in half lengthwise. In a small bowl, combine the ground ginger, pepper flakes, garlic powder and pepper; rub over steak. Transfer to a 3-qt. slow cooker; add red and green peppers. Combine the cola, green onions, soy sauce, gingerroot, tomato paste and garlic; pour over top.
- Cook, covered, on low until meat is tender, 6-7 hours. Shred meat with two forks; return to the slow cooker and heat through. Spoon beef mixture onto tortillas using a slotted spoon.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 365 calories, 12g fat (4g saturated fat), 48mg cholesterol, 1125mg sodium, 37g carbohydrate (9g sugars, 2g fiber), 26g protein.
Originally published as Slow Cooked Fusion Flank Steak in Casseroles, Slow Cooker & Soups 2009
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
More from Taste of Home
What’s the Secret to Perfect Burgers at Home? A Former Restaurant Chef Shares 11 Expert Burger Grilling Tips