Zippy Beans and Rice
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 20 min.
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (10 ounces) diced tomatoes and green chilies, undrained
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 3/4 cup water
- 1 medium jalapeno pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt, optional
- 1 cup uncooked instant white or brown rice
- 1 green onion, sliced
- In a large skillet, combine the beans, tomatoes, corn, water, jalapeno and salt if desired. Bring to a boil over high heat; stir in rice. Cover and remove from the heat. Let stand for 5 minutes or until liquid is absorbed. Fluff with a fork. Sprinkle with onion.
Editor's NoteWear disposable gloves when cutting hot peppers; the oils can burn skin. Avoid touching your face.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 197 calories, 2g fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 414mg sodium, 40g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 0 fiber), 8g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 vegetable, 1/2 fat.
Jun 4, 2012
It doesn't get any easier than this. We are trying to eat healthier and this is a great and filling side dish. Even my 6 and 4 year olds ate it as well as the hubby. I used instant brown rice and left out the jalepeno. Also drained a can of corn and added that instead since I didn't have frozen.
Apr 29, 2011
This is an EXCELLENT side to any spanish dish! The whole family loves it, plus it is sooo easy to make!
Apr 28, 2010
Cheap, easy, and doesn't taste too bad either! We had no green onions so didn't put any on top. Also quite healthy if you use brown rice.~ Theresa
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.