This bean stew is a staple for my co-workers and me once the weather turns cool. Although this is a low-fat dish, it definitely doesn't taste like it! —Debbie Matthews, Bluefield, West Virginia
Featured In: 40 Hearty Vegetarian Recipes for the Slow Cooker
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 can (16 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15 ounces) pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes and green chilies
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) vegetable broth or reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 2 cups frozen corn, thawed
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chilies, undrained
- 3 cups water
- 2 medium carrots, sliced
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- In a 3-qt. slow cooker, combine the beans, tomatoes, broth, corn and green chilies. Stir in the water, carrots, onion, garlic and chili powder. Cover and cook on high for 4-5 hours or until vegetables are tender and flavors are blended. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Zippy Bean Stew in Light & Tasty October/November 2002, p13
Reviews forZippy Bean Stew
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Feb. 14, 2013
"Great flavor. I chopped up some cooked chicken breast and added that. This recipe is a keeper for sure."
Reviewed Feb. 3, 2008
"One of my favorite winter recipes. I add sausage or ground turkey to make it a little more hearty and serve it over brown rice."