Zippy Barbecued Beef Brisket
This is an authentic Texas dish from a good friend. The tangy sauce not only helps tenderize the meat but also provides fantastic flavor.—Joan Hallford, North Richland Hills, Texas
Total TimePrep: 45 min. + marinating Bake: 3 hours + standing
- 1 cup ketchup
- 3 celery ribs, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
- 3 bay leaves
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- Dash pepper
- 2 tablespoons Liquid Smoke, optional
- 1 tablespoon teriyaki sauce
- 2 teaspoons celery seed
- 2 teaspoons pepper
- 1 teaspoon each salt, garlic salt and onion salt
- 1 fresh beef brisket (about 5 pounds)
- For barbecue sauce, in a large saucepan, combine the first 13 ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove from the heat. Strain sauce, discarding bay leaves and vegetable pulp; set aside.
- For marinade, in a large resealable plastic bag, combine the Liquid Smoke if desired, teriyaki sauce, celery seed, pepper, salts and 1 cup reserved barbecue sauce. Add the brisket. Seal bag and turn to coat; refrigerate for 8 hours or overnight, turning occasionally. Cover and refrigerate remaining barbecue sauce.
- Drain and discard marinade. Place brisket on a large sheet of heavy-duty foil; seal tightly. Place in a greased 15x10x1-in. baking pan. Bake at 325° for 3-4 hours or until meat is tender.
- Remove brisket to a serving platter; let stand for 15 minutes. Reheat reserved sauce. Thinly slice meat across the grain. Serve with sauce.
Editor's NoteThis is a fresh beef brisket, not corned beef.
Nutrition Facts4 ounce-weight: 341 calories, 14g fat (6g saturated fat), 99mg cholesterol, 1144mg sodium, 10g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 1g fiber), 42g protein.
Originally published as Texas Style Barbecue Brisket of Beef in Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook 2009
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.