- 1 large potato
- 1 bacon strip, diced
- 2 tablespoons chopped onion
- 1 small garlic clove, minced
- 5 teaspoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1-1/2 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 cup half-and-half cream
- 6 to 8 drops hot pepper sauce, optional
- 2 tablespoons shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh parsley
- Scrub and pierce potato. Microwave on high for 4-6 minutes or bake at 400° for 50-75 minutes or until tender, turning once. When cool enough to handle, peel and cube potato; set aside.
- In a small saucepan, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Using a slotted spoon, remove to paper towel.
- In the drippings, saute onion and garlic until tender. Stir in the flour, basil and pepper until blended. Gradually add broth. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes.
- Add the cream, cubed potato and, if desired, hot pepper sauce; heat through (do not boil). Top each serving with bacon, cheese and parsley. Yield: 2 servings.
Reviews forZippy Baked Potato Soup
"I have made this several time so far this winter. I omitted the hot pepper sauce. I used whipping cream and whole milk combined. I doubled the batch and shared with the neighbors.. Great hit."
"Delicious and flavorful. Definitely the perfect soup on a cold winter day. I used half the amount of hot pepper sauce and then my guests to add more to their liking. This worked out well as some guests liked it as is while others added the amount they preferred. I also topped ours with a sprinkling of chopped green onions instead of parsley."
"This soup is a family favorite. I usually make a double batch because it is such a big hit."
"I used fat free half and half. It probably was a little thinner that it should be, maybe I'll use a little more flour next time to thicken it up, but it was very good!"
"I love it."
"Could you substitute skim milk for the cream?"