- 5 to 6 cups sliced carrots (about 2 pounds), cut 1/4 inch thick, divided
- 6 slices Swiss cheese, divided
- 1 small onion, minced
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 2 cups milk
- 1 cup soft bread crumbs
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 5 slices Jones Dairy Farm Dry-Aged Bacon, cooked and crumbled
- On stovetop or in a microwave oven, blanch the carrots in covered dish until tender-crisp. Layer half of the carrots in shallow 2-qt. baking pan; cover with half of the cheese. Repeat layers. To make sauce, saute onion in butter for 2 minutes; blend in flour and seasonings. Cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Add milk all at once; cook, stirring, until thickened. Pour sauce over carrot-cheese layers. Combine bread crumbs and butter; sprinkle over all. Top with bacon. Bake at 350° for 25 minutes. Yield: 8 servings.
Reviews forZippy Baked Carrots Side Dish
"I made 1/2 this recipe omitted the topping and added 1 cup of broccoli floretts. It was good"
"We make this side dish often! It is soooo yummy & good for you! (Carrots LOL) It is an easy dish to make & this recipe deserves a blue ribbon."