Zesty Zucchini Skillet
If your family likes vegetables as much as mine does, you'll like this recipe. Vegetables are so flexible, too, that you can substitute your family's favorites for those in this recipe. In our family, we all like zucchini, so I'm always trying to find some new ways to prepare it.
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 4 cups diced zucchini
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup chopped carrots
- 1/2 green pepper, sliced thin
- 3/4 cup chopped celery
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Pepper to taste
- 1/3 cup picante sauce
- 2 teaspoons prepared mustard
- 1 medium tomato, diced
- 1/2 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- In a skillet, heat oil over medium. Cook and stir the next six ingredients until vegetables are crisp-tender. Combine basil, oregano, salt, pepper, picante sauce and mustard; pour into skillet. Cook and stir for 3 minutes. Gently stir in tomatoes; heat through. Sprinkle with cheese and serve immediately.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 83 calories, 6g fat (0 saturated fat), 8mg cholesterol, 162mg sodium, 6g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 0 fiber), 3g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 vegetable, 1 fat.
Originally published as Zesty Zucchini Skillet in Country Extra May 1991
Feb 11, 2011
I didn't have the picante sauce so i added one banana pepper and 2 tbsp of rice vinegar and two chicken breasts cut up and 2 cups of rice and it was delicious as a main course.