Zesty Veggie Pitas
Cilantro adds oomph wherever it goes. That’s why I use it with ingredients from the fridge for a zesty, refreshing sandwich combo. —Krista Frank, Rhododendron, Oregon
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 20 min.
- 1/2 cup hummus
- 4 whole pocketless pita breads or flatbreads, warmed
- 4 slices pepper jack cheese
- 1 cup thinly sliced cucumber
- 1 large tomato, cut into wedges
- 1/4 cup sliced pepperoncini
- 1/4 cup sliced ripe olives
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro leaves
- Spread hummus over pita breads. Top with remaining ingredients; fold pitas to serve.
Nutrition Facts1 sandwich: 323 calories, 11g fat (4g saturated fat), 23mg cholesterol, 758mg sodium, 42g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 4g fiber), 14g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 starch, 1 medium-fat meat.
Originally published as Spicy Veggie Flatbread Sandwich in Taste of Home September/October 2014
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.