Zesty Vegetable Beef Soup
My family loves to come to the table for hot homemade biscuits and a bowl of this flavorful filling soup. They rave over how good it tastes. A friend shared the recipe with me. -Brenda Wood, Portage la Prairie, Manitoba
Total TimePrep: 35 min. + cooling Cook: 3-1/2 hours
Makes12-14 servings (3-3/4 quarts)
- 8 cups water
- 3 pounds bone-in beef short ribs
- 1 large onion, quartered
- 2 medium carrots, quartered
- 2 celery ribs, quartered
- 8 whole allspice
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 4 cups V8 juice
- 3 celery ribs, sliced
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 2 medium carrots, sliced
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 cup uncooked noodles
- In a Dutch oven or stockpot, bring broth ingredients to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer 2 hours or until meat is tender.
- Remove ribs; allow to cool. Skim fat and strain broth; discard vegetables and seasonings. Remove meat from bones and cut into bite-size pieces; return to broth. Add the first 10 soup ingredients; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer 1 hour or until vegetables are tender.
- Stir in noodles. Return to a boil; cook, uncovered, 15 minutes or until the noodles are tender. Discard bay leaves.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 136 calories, 5g fat (2g saturated fat), 26mg cholesterol, 727mg sodium, 13g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 2g fiber), 9g protein.
Originally published as Zesty Vegetable Beef Soup in Taste of Home October/November 1996
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.