I frequently prepare this recipe when my family's asking for turkey and when I don't feel like making a whole bird. It's a nice comforting meal for cool fall evenings.
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 2 hours
- 2 tablespoons rubbed sage
- 1 tablespoon pepper
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons dried parsley flakes
- 2 teaspoons celery seed
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 3 to 4 bay leaves, crumbled
- 1 turkey breast (4 to 4-1/2 pounds)
- 2 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- In a small bowl, combine spices and mix well. Place turkey on a rack in a roasting pan; rub with spice mixture. Add broth to pan. Bake at 350° for 2-3 hours or until thermometer reads 170°, basting every 30 minutes.
Nutrition Facts10 ounce-weight: 187 calories, 4g fat (0 saturated fat), 69mg cholesterol, 85mg sodium, 3g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 0 fiber), 32g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3-1/2 lean meat.
Originally published as Zesty Turkey in Country Woman November/December 1994