Zesty Turkey Spaghetti Sauce
My sauce is good for you because it calls for lean cubed turkey instead of meatballs. For extra flavor, I add turkey pepperoni to the sauce, along with green pepper, onion and mushrooms. It's easy to prepare, and the seasonings can be modified to fit anyone's tastes.—Sue Yaeger, Boone, Iowa
Total TimePrep: 5 min. Cook: 70 min.
- 1 pound uncooked turkey breast tenderloin, cubed
- 1 medium green pepper, cut into 3/4-inch pieces
- 1 medium onion, cut into wedges
- 2/3 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 jar (15-1/2 ounces) meatless spaghetti sauce
- 1 cup sliced turkey pepperoni, halved
- 1/2 cup dry red wine or chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 10 ounces uncooked vermicelli
- In a Dutch oven or large kettle, saute the turkey, green pepper, onion and mushrooms in oil until vegetables are tender. Stir in the spaghetti sauce, pepperoni, wine or broth and tomato paste. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 45 minutes. Uncover; simmer 15-20 minutes longer or until thickened. Meanwhile, cook vermicelli according to package directions; drain. Serve with sauce.