- 2 pounds smoked kielbasa or Polish sausage, halved and sliced
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15 ounces) great northern beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15 ounces) thick and zesty tomato sauce
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup water
- 5 bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Hot cooked rice
- In a large skillet, brown the sausage. Transfer to a 4-qt. slow cooker; add the beans, tomato sauce, green pepper, onion, water, bacon, brown sugar, vinegar, garlic, thyme, marjoram and cayenne. Cover and cook on low 5-6 hours or until vegetables are tender. Serve with rice.
Can you freeze Zesty Sausage & Beans?
Freeze cooled sausage mixture in freezer containers. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Heat through in a saucepan, stirring occasionally; add broth or water if necessary.
3/4 cup: 439 calories, 26g fat (9g saturated fat), 64mg cholesterol, 1505mg sodium, 29g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 7g fiber), 20g protein.