Zesty Sausage & Beans
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Cook: 5 hours
- 2 pounds smoked kielbasa or Polish sausage, halved and sliced
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15 ounces) great northern beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15 ounces) thick and zesty tomato sauce
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup water
- 5 bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Hot cooked rice
- In a large skillet, brown the sausage. Transfer to a 4-qt. slow cooker; add the beans, tomato sauce, green pepper, onion, water, bacon, brown sugar, vinegar, garlic, thyme, marjoram and cayenne. Cover and cook on low for 5-6 hours or until vegetables are tender. Serve with rice.
Freeze option: Freeze cooled sausage mixture in freezer containers. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Heat through in a saucepan, stirring occasionally and adding a little broth or water if necessary.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 439 calories, 26g fat (9g saturated fat), 64mg cholesterol, 1505mg sodium, 29g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 7g fiber), 20g protein.
May 19, 2012
I loved this dish (only used 1 lb of sausage). It's one that tastes even better the second day.
Apr 15, 2012
Very hearty! I substituted leftover Easter ham for one of the sausages & used only 1 tablespoon cider vinegar instead of 2 as I don't care for the taste of it. Very good recipe, but it does take some time to make it. Oh, and I also used the Rotel Zesty Tomato & Green Chili sauce. Next time, I will probably use regular tomato sauce for a milder taste.
Mar 24, 2012
In Feb. before getting answers to what thick and zesty tomato sauce to use for this recipe I decided to use Rotel Zesty Tomato & Green Chili Sauce (Mild). The taste was outstanding! My husband says that recipe is a keeper! I do plan to try the spaghetti sauce and the Contadina tomato sauce. Thanks so much.
Mar 24, 2012
I love this recipe the slow cooked smoked sausage with everything tastes delicious with rice. Tastes even better the next day.
Mar 9, 2012
To Odessa123 - Contadina makes a sauce that says "Extra Thick and Zesty" on the label. Hope that helps!
Mar 8, 2012
Contadina makes the Extra Thick & Zesty Tomato Sauce
Mar 8, 2012
This was awsome! The flavours mingled just right. Try Zesty spaghetti sauce for the zesty tomato sauce.
Feb 21, 2012
This sounds like and great recipe and I plan to make it in a few days. When I went shopping for the ingredients I could not find thick and zesty tomato sauce. Could someone help me with the name and brand of the product I'm suppose to use? I gave only one star rating due to the recipe incompleteness but will rate again once I have made the dish.
Feb 20, 2012
I am planning to make cook this recipe soon. However, when shopping for ingredients I could not fine an item called thick and zesty tomato sauce. What is suppose to be used? A name and brand would be helpful. Thanks
Nov 18, 2010
I made this last night for dinner and my husband wanted the leftovers for lunch today - Not a normal occurrence. The flavors blended perfectly and it was good, satisfying comfort food.