Zesty Potato Soup Recipe
- 4 large potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 2 cups water
- 1 teaspoon dried minced onion
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup milk
- 4 ounces process American cheese (Velveeta), cubed
- 1/3 cup chopped green chilies
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon chicken bouillon granules
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh parsley
- 1. In a large saucepan, combine the potatoes, water, onion, garlic, salt and pepper; bring to a boil over medium heat. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes or until potatoes are tender. (Do not drain.) Mash potatoes in liquid until almost smooth. Add remaining ingredients; cook and stir until cheese is melted. Yield: 6 servings.
1 cup: 321 calories, 10g fat (6g saturated fat), 28mg cholesterol, 946mg sodium, 49g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 4g fiber), 10g protein.
Reviews for Zesty Potato Soup
"I have been making this soup for YEARS, since it was first published in 1999. If I'm not careful, my daughter will eat it for breakfast, lunch and dinner all by herself. I always double the ingredients, except for the garlic ,which I also leave whole. Instead of Velveeta I use a 2 cup package of shredded Cheddar. I omit the green chilies, and sprinkle red pepper flakes to taste instead. When reheating leftovers in the microwave, I add more milk to restore the soup to the original consistency, since it thickens naturally. I will be making this soup in the next few days to bring along on a trip to the mountains. It freezes well."
"Made this one night when I wanted a comfort food in a hurry - and it was great! My office-mates rating of 1-10 - they gave it an 11."