Zesty Potato Pizza
I originally invented this recipe for the state agriculture department's "Potato Recipe Contest"—and won first place!—Marilyn Stroud, Larsen, Wisconsin
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 30 min.
- 6 medium potatoes, peeled, cooked and mashed
- 1/3 cup sour cream
- 1/3 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 teaspoons dry bread crumbs
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 can (12 ounces) SPAM luncheon meat
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 can (8 ounces) pizza sauce
- 1 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- For crust,in a large bowl, beat the mashed potatoes, sour cream, mozzarella cheese, egg, salt and pepper until blended.
- Spread potato mixture onto a 12-in. pizza pan. Build up edges slightly. Sprinkle with bread crumbs. Bake at 350° for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, for topping, in a large skillet, cook beef, luncheon meat and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink: drain Stir in pizza sauce; set aside.
- Remove crust from oven; increase temperature to 400°. Spoon topping mixture evenly over crust to within 1/2-in. of edges. Sprinkle with mozzarella and Parmesan cheeses. Bake another 10 minutes or until cheese is melted.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 591 calories, 30g fat (14g saturated fat), 137mg cholesterol, 1139mg sodium, 44g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 4g fiber), 34g protein.
Originally published as Zesty Potato Pizza in Country Ground Beef
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.