Zesty Potato Pizza
I originally invented this recipe for the state agriculture department's "Potato Recipe Contest"—and won first place!—Marilyn Stroud, Larsen, Wisconsin
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 30 min.
- 6 medium potatoes, peeled, cooked and mashed
- 1/3 cup sour cream
- 1/3 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 teaspoons dry bread crumbs
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 can (12 ounces) SPAM luncheon meat
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 can (8 ounces) pizza sauce
- 1 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- For crust,in a large bowl, beat the mashed potatoes, sour cream, mozzarella cheese, egg, salt and pepper until blended.
- Spread potato mixture onto a 12-in. pizza pan. Build up edges slightly. Sprinkle with bread crumbs. Bake at 350° for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, for topping, in a large skillet, cook beef, luncheon meat and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink: drain Stir in pizza sauce; set aside.
- Remove crust from oven; increase temperature to 400°. Spoon topping mixture evenly over crust to within 1/2-in. of edges. Sprinkle with mozzarella and Parmesan cheeses. Bake another 10 minutes or until cheese is melted.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 591 calories, 30g fat (14g saturated fat), 137mg cholesterol, 1139mg sodium, 44g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 4g fiber), 34g protein.
Originally published as Zesty Potato Pizza in Country Ground Beef