Zesty Pizza Sauce
Beth Dauenhauer of Pueblo, Colorado writes, "Besides using this as a pizza sauce, I also use it as an all-purpose pasta sauce. I freeze it in small portions and defrost as needed."
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Cook: 70 min.
- 1 small green pepper, chopped
- 1/3 cup chopped onion
- 1/4 cup finely chopped carrot
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1-1/2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 can (28 ounces) whole tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (15 ounces) tomato sauce
- 3/4 cup brewed coffee
- 1/3 cup tomato paste
- 1-1/2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 3/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon each dried basil, marjoram, oregano and thyme
- 1/8 teaspoon fennel seed, crushed
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- In a large nonstick saucepan, saute the green pepper, onion, carrot and garlic in oil until tender. Stir in the remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 1 hour or until sauce reaches desired thickness, stirring occasionally.
- Cool slightly. In a food processor, process sauce in batches until blended. Spread desired amount over a pizza crust, or cool and then refrigerate or freeze. Sauce may be frozen for up to 3 months.