I came up with this recipe when I was looking for something out of the ordinary to take to a family potluck. The compliments were overwhelming and I gladly shared the recipe.—Joan Crandall, Burlington, Connecticut
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) chicken broth
- 1-1/2 cups uncooked long grain rice
- 1-1/2 pounds ground beef
- 2 large onions, thinly sliced
- 1 large green pepper, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 can (4 ounces) mushroom stems and pieces, drained
- 1/3 cup soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon hot pepper sauce
- In a saucepan, bring broth to a boil. Add rice. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20 minutes. Meanwhile, in a skillet, cook the beef, onions, green pepper and garlic over medium heat until meat is no longer pink and vegetables are tender. Drain and place in a large bowl.
- In the same skillet, cook and stir eggs until set but still moist. Add to meat mixture. Fluff rice with fork. Stir in the rice, mushrooms, soy sauce and hot pepper sauce to meat mixture.
- Transfer to a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Cover and bake at 350° for 30 minutes or until heated through. Yield: 10 servings.
Originally published as Zesty Oven-Fried Rice in Taste of Home Ground Beef Cookbook 1999, p210
Medium-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.
Reviews for Zesty Oven-Fried Rice
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review