Zesty Onion Burgers
My mother found this simple recipe on a soup can over 40 years ago. The oniony sandwiches starred many of our Sunday suppers. I carry on the tradition today, making them for my husband and our two grown sons.
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 can (10-1/2 ounces) condensed onion soup, undiluted
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon prepared mustard
- Dash pepper
- 6 hamburger buns, split
- 3 tablespoons butter, softened
- In a large skillet, cook beef and celery over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Add the soup, water, ketchup, Worcestershire sauce, mustard and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 20-25 minutes or until thickened, stirring occasionally.
- Spread cut sides of buns with butter; toast the buns. Top with beef mixture.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 500 calories, 24g fat (11g saturated fat), 82mg cholesterol, 1333mg sodium, 44g carbohydrate (10g sugars, 3g fiber), 27g protein.
Originally published as Zesty Onion Burgers in Country Woman September/October 2003
Dec 2, 2010
I have a family of 5 and we all have different taste and 2 of them are very picky eaters. I made this recipe last night and everyone of them including our 3 guests loved it.