Zesty Mozzarella Chicken
This moist chicken tastes terrific topped with a zesty tomato sauce and cheese. It's speedy enough for a weekday meal, yet impressive enough for guests.
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1 large egg white, lightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons whole milk
- 1 cup dry bread crumbs
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon each salt, pepper, garlic powder, cayenne pepper and dried oregano
- 8 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (4 ounces each)
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- In a shallow bowl, combine egg white and milk. In another shallow bowl, combine the bread crumbs, Parmesan cheese and seasonings. Dip each chicken breast in the egg white mixture, then in the crumb mixture.
- In a large skillet; cook chicken on both sides in butter until chicken is golden brown and crispy and juices run clear. Sprinkle with mozzarella cheese. Remove from the heat and cover for 2-3 minutes or until cheese is melted.
- Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, combine tomato sauce and basil; cook until heated through. Serve with chicken.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 405 calories, 17g fat (9g saturated fat), 135mg cholesterol, 702mg sodium, 16g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 1g fiber), 44g protein.
Originally published as Zesty Mozzarella Chicken in Country Woman January/February 1994
Mar 13, 2008
I thought the tomato-basil sauce was bland and would suggest more seasoning.
Mar 3, 2008
The tomato-basil sauce is very bitter - I would recommend using either a pre-made seasoned tomato sauce or adding sugar to the sauce.