Zesty Mediterranean Salsa
The addition of olives makes this salsa a little different from other varieties. You can seed the jalapeno peppers if you like. But if your family likes salsa with some "heat", leave them in.
Total TimePrep: 10 min. + chilling
- 8 medium tomatoes, chopped
- 3/4 cup sliced green onions
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh cilantro leaves
- 1/3 cup chopped onion
- 2 jalapeno peppers, finely chopped (seeded if desired)
- 1 can (2-1/4 ounces) sliced ripe olives, drained
- 3-1/2 teaspoons fresh lime juice
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 to 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 to 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Combine all ingredients in a large bowl. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
Editor's NoteWear disposable gloves when cutting hot peppers; the oils can burn skin. Avoid touching your face.
Nutrition Facts1/4 cup: 41 calories, 2g fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 105mg sodium, 6g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 1g fiber), 1g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 1/2 fat.
Originally published as Zesty Salsa in Taste of Home's Down-Home Diabetic Cookbook Second Edition
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.