Molasses adds a touch of sweetness to the tangy sauce that covers these moist meatballs. Serve them over egg noodles for a flavorful, family-pleasing meal. —Debbie Segate of Grander Prairie, Alberta
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1/3 cup finely chopped onion
- 2 egg whites, lightly beaten
- 1/4 cup fat-free milk
- 2 teaspoons prepared mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup graham cracker crumbs
- 3/4 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 3/4 pound lean ground turkey
- BARBECUE SAUCE:
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/2 cup cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 1/2 cup molasses
- 1/4 cup orange juice concentrate
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 6 cups hot cooked yolk-free noodles
- Place onion in a small microwave-safe bowl; cover and microwave on high for 1-1/2 minutes or until tender. In a large bowl, combine the egg whites, milk, mustard, salt, cracker crumbs and onion. Crumble beef and turkey over mixture and mix well.
- Shape into 1-1/4-in. balls. Place meatballs on a rack coated with cooking spray in a shallow baking pan. Bake at 375° for 15 -18 minutes or until meat is no longer pink; drain.
- Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, combine brown sugar and cornstarch. Stir in vinegar until smooth. Add the ketchup, molasses, orange juice concentrate, mustard, soy sauce and hot pepper sauce. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Add meatballs; heat through. Serve with noodles.