Zesty Light Tacos
Maureen Mack, of Milwaukee, Wisconsin says “This colorful main dish is very high in fiber. A complete protein with black beans and brown rice, it’s perfect for vegetarians. If you need to cut down on sodium, use reduced-sodium beans and tomatoes.”
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 50 min.
- 1 cup uncooked brown rice
- 1 medium red onion, halved and sliced
- 1 medium green pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes with mild green chilies, undrained
- 1/2 cup frozen corn
- 1/2 cup taco sauce
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 3/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 8 whole wheat tortillas (8 inches), warmed
- Optional toppings: shredded lettuce, chopped tomatoes, pickled jalapeno slices, shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese and reduced-fat sour cream
- Cook rice according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a large nonstick skillet, saute onion and pepper in oil until tender. Stir in the beans, tomatoes, corn, taco sauce, chili powder and cayenne; heat through. Stir in cooked rice.
- Spoon 3/4 cup mixture down the center of each tortilla. Add toppings if desired.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 326 calories, 6g fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 565mg sodium, 57g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 7g fiber), 10g protein.
Originally published as Zesty Light Taco Filling in Healthy Cooking April/May 2009
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.