Zesty Italian Loaf
My husband and I entertain quite a bit, either around our pool at home or at our log cabin. I especially like to serve this zesty sandwich loaf during the cooler months.
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 25 min.
- 3 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons butter or margarine, softened
- 1 teaspoon prepared mustard
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 unsliced loaf (1 pound) Italian bread
- 6 slices mozzarella cheese
- 6 thin slices tomato
- 6 thin slices salami
- 6 thin slices red onion
- 12 thin slices pepperoni
- In a small bowl, combine the first five ingredients; set aside. Make 11 slices in the bread, not cutting all the way though bottom crust. Place loaf on a piece of foil large enough to wrap it completely. Gently separate every other slice and spread 1 tablespoon mayonnaise mixture on cut surfaces. Insert cheese, tomato, salami, onion and pepperoni between every other slice. Wrap the foil tightly around loaf; place on a baking sheet. Bake at 350° for 25 minutes. To serve, cut bread between unstuffed slices; serve warm.
Editor's Note: This loaf can be made ahead and refrigerated before baking.
Originally published as Zesty Italian Loaf in Country Pork
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.