Zesty Hot Chocolate
Chili powder gives a subtle spiciness to this chocolate sipper that is sure to warm chilly guests from head to toe. Joy Weinstein - Boulder, Colorado
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 20 min.
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup baking cocoa
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 6 cups fat-free milk
- 2 cups water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup reduced-fat whipped topping
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- In a large saucepan, combine the first six ingredients. Gradually add milk and water; cook and stir until heated through. Remove from the heat; stir in vanilla. Ladle into mugs; top each serving with whipped topping and sprinkle with nutmeg.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 132 calories, 1g fat (1g saturated fat), 4mg cholesterol, 155mg sodium, 25g carbohydrate (22g sugars, 1g fiber), 7g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 1/2 fat-free milk.
Originally published as Zesty Hot Chocolate in Healthy Cooking February/March 2009