Zesty Herbed Rice Pilaf
The zesty flavor of onion is great with the crunch of celery in this light dish. It's a tasty side dish for a holiday meal. I sometimes add chopped shrimp, chicken or beef to make it into a one-dish meal.
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 50 min.
- 2 cups uncooked long grain rice
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- In a large skillet, saute the rice, celery and onion in butter until the rice is lightly browned and the vegetables are tender.
- Spoon into a greased 2-qt. casserole. Combine all the remaining ingredients; pour over rice mixture. Cover and bake at 325° for 50 minutes or until rice is tender.
Nutrition Facts0.700 cup: 235 calories, 6g fat (1g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 424mg sodium, 39g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 1g fiber), 5g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2-1/2 starch, 1 fat.
Originally published as Herbed Rice Pilaf in Taste of Home October/November 1993
Feb 19, 2016
Very good rice recipe. I followed directions as written, and it tasted great. I will make this again.
Feb 5, 2013
We felt that the rice was bland.
Oct 15, 2012
It's requested about twice a month for this recipe. Love the flavors!