Zesty Fried Green Tomatoes
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 25 min.
- 4 medium green tomatoes, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup cornmeal
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup olive oil
- Sprinkle both sides of tomatoes with salt; let stand for 10 minutes. In a shallow bowl, beat the eggs. In another shallow bowl, combine the cornmeal, cheese, flour and seasonings. Pat tomatoes dry. Dip in eggs, then coat with cornmeal mixture.
- In a large skillet, heat 1/4 cup oil over medium heat. Fry tomatoes, a few at a time, for 3-4 minutes on each side or until golden brown, adding more oil as needed. Drain on paper towels. Serve warm.
Nutrition Facts4 slices: 213 calories, 13g fat (3g saturated fat), 76mg cholesterol, 306mg sodium, 17g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 2g fiber), 7g protein.
Mar 13, 2017
I had some late green tomatoes and this was the perfect recipe for them. The coating stayed on very well and they were very tasty!
Aug 16, 2016
No Green Tomatoes? No problem this one is fabulous with The Reds. They are super crunchy and so delicious. My tomatoes were on the Firmer side which made them perfect for this recipe. Great as a side or as a Base for White Country Gravy. A real Breakfast special. Now's the perfect time for this wonderful recipe.JanieTaste of home Volunteer Field Editor
Aug 14, 2016
My first ever fried green toatoes! Minor changes- instead of garlic salt, I used Roasted Granulated Garlic instead of the garlic salt. I sprinkled kosher salt on the tomatoes after they were fried. I made them into an amazing BLT with sourdough bread. Great recipe!
Aug 16, 2013
I prefer without the ingredients that make it zesty! I only include the garlic salt, not other 3 spices.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.