I first made this creamed many years ago when I was taking a home economics class. It's great to serve at a brunch, and even children find it hard to resist!
Recommended: A Round-Up of 50 Famous Texas Foods
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 package (8-1/2 ounces) corn bread/muffin mix
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped onion, divided
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 chicken bouillon cube
- 1/2 cup boiling water
- 1 jar (4-1/2 ounces) sliced mushrooms, drained
- 1/4 cup chopped green pepper
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Dash hot pepper sauce
- 1 can (12 ounces) evaporated milk
- 2 cups cubed cooked chicken
- 2 tablespoons chopped pimientos
- Prepare corn bread mix according to package directions, adding 2 tablespoons onion and the paprika. Spoon into a well-greased 4- to 5-cup ring mold.
- Bake at 400° for 15 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Let stand for 5 minutes. Turn out onto a serving platter.
- Meanwhile, dissolve bouillon in water; set aside. In a large saucepan, saute the mushrooms, green pepper and remaining onion in butter until tender. Stir in the flour, salt, pepper and hot pepper sauce until smooth. Add milk and prepared bouillon; cook over medium heat for 2 minutes or until thickened and bubbly, stirring constantly. Cook for 2-3 minutes. Add chicken and pimientos; heat through. Spoon over corn bread. Yield: 4-6 servings.
Originally published as Zesty Corn Bread with Creamed Chicken in Country Chicken Cookbook 1995, p69