Zesty Colorado Chili
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Cook: 1-1/2 hours
Makes12-14 servings (3-1/2 quarts)
- 1 pound Italian sausage links
- 1 boneless pork shoulder butt roast (1 pound)
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 1 large green pepper, chopped
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 can (29 ounces) tomato puree
- 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 cup beef broth
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and minced
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 to 2 teaspoons crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 2 cans (16 ounces each) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- Cut sausage into 1/2-in. pieces. Trim pork and cut into 1/2-in. pieces.
- In a 5-qt. kettle or Dutch oven, cook sausage, pork and beef over medium heat, until sausage and beef are no longer pink and the pork juices run clear; drain, reserving 1 tablespoon drippings. Set meat aside.
- Saute onions, green pepper and garlic in reserved drippings until tender. Add the next 12 ingredients. Return meat to the pan; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1 hour. Add the beans and heat through.
Editor's NoteWear disposable gloves when cutting hot peppers; the oils can burn skin. Avoid touching your face.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 272 calories, 12g fat (5g saturated fat), 58mg cholesterol, 410mg sodium, 17g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 4g fiber), 23g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Jan 8, 2015
This was very popular! I used fire-roasted diced tomatoes and omitted the hot pepper. I also used a crock pot to finish the cooking once the meats and vegetables were cooked and sauteed.
Dec 22, 2012
I love this recipe I am making it for a Christmas dinner for my fellow police officers.