Zesty Colorado Chili
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Cook: 1-1/2 hours
Makes12-14 servings (3-1/2 quarts)
- 1 pound Italian sausage links
- 1 boneless pork shoulder butt roast (1 pound)
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 1 large green pepper, chopped
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 can (29 ounces) tomato puree
- 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 cup beef broth
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and minced
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 to 2 teaspoons crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 2 cans (16 ounces each) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- Cut sausage into 1/2-in. pieces. Trim pork and cut into 1/2-in. pieces.
- In a 5-qt. kettle or Dutch oven, cook sausage, pork and beef over medium heat, until sausage and beef are no longer pink and the pork juices run clear; drain, reserving 1 tablespoon drippings. Set meat aside.
- Saute onions, green pepper and garlic in reserved drippings until tender. Add the next 12 ingredients. Return meat to the pan; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1 hour. Add the beans and heat through.
Editor's NoteWear disposable gloves when cutting hot peppers; the oils can burn skin. Avoid touching your face.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 272 calories, 12g fat (5g saturated fat), 58mg cholesterol, 410mg sodium, 17g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 4g fiber), 23g protein.
Jan 8, 2015
This was very popular! I used fire-roasted diced tomatoes and omitted the hot pepper. I also used a crock pot to finish the cooking once the meats and vegetables were cooked and sauteed.
Dec 22, 2012
I love this recipe I am making it for a Christmas dinner for my fellow police officers.