Zesty Chili-Cheese Soup
With green chilies, corn and cheese, this slightly spicy soup has a Mexican flair. You're sure to like the extra "zip" it brings to your dinner table.
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 30 min.
Makes8 servings (about 2 quarts)
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 3 cups frozen whole kernel corn
- 2 cans (4 ounces each) chopped green chilies
- 1 cup seeded chopped tomatoes
- 1 can (12 ounces) evaporated milk
- 3 cups shredded sharp cheddar or Monterey Jack cheese
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- In a soup kettle or Dutch oven over medium heat, saute onion in oil and butter until tender. Add garlic and saute for 1 minute. Add flour; cook and stir for 2 minutes. Stir in broth, corn, chilies and tomatoes; bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add remaining ingredients; heat, stirring frequently, until the cheese is melted (do not boil).
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 344 calories, 22g fat (13g saturated fat), 66mg cholesterol, 735mg sodium, 24g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 2g fiber), 15g protein.
Originally published as Zesty Chili-Cheese Soup in Home-Style Soups, Salad and Sandwiches Cookbook