Zesty Cheese Spread
I USUALLY MAKE this spread a day before I plan on serving it, since it needs time for the flavors to meld. But it also keeps well for a few weeks. It’s an appetizer, that can be served with snack rye bread or assorted crackers.
Total TimePrep: 10 min. + chilling
- 2 teaspoons ground mustard
- 2 teaspoons hot water
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 tablespoon minced shallot
- 1 teaspoon capers, drained
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- Assorted crackers
- In a small bowl, combine mustard and water; let stand for 10 minutes. In a small bowl, beat cream cheese and butter until smooth. Beat in the shallot, capers, parsley, paprika and mustard mixture until blended.
- Transfer to a serving bowl; cover and refrigerate for 4 hours or overnight. Serve with crackers.
Nutrition Facts2 tablespoons: 164 calories, 17g fat (11g saturated fat), 49mg cholesterol, 140mg sodium, 1g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 0 fiber), 2g protein.
Originally published as Liptauer Cheese Spread in Reminisce April/May 2008
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.