Zesty Cheese Soup
"My husband and I are retired, but I still look for shortcut recipes like this one I received from a great-niece," writes Modie Phillips of Lubbock, Texas. "You'll likely have the majority of ingredients for this colorful soup in your pantry," Mary notes. "To save time, I start warming the canned ingredients on the stove while I cube the cheese."
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 25 min.
Makes6-8 servings (2 quarts)
- 1 can (15-1/4 ounces) whole kernel corn, drained
- 1 can (15 ounces) pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) chicken broth
- 1 can (10 ounces) diced tomatoes and green chilies, undrained
- 1 can (10 ounces) premium chunk white chicken, drained
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chilies
- 1 pound process American cheese (Velveeta), cubed
- Crushed tortilla chips, optional
- In a 3-qt. saucepan, combine the first seven ingredients. Cook and stir until cheese is melted. Garnish with tortilla chips if desired.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 316 calories, 15g fat (9g saturated fat), 53mg cholesterol, 1435mg sodium, 21g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 4g fiber), 22g protein.
Originally published as Zesty Cheese Soup in Quick Cooking November/December 1998