Zesty Burger Puffs Recipe
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup cornmeal
- 4 eggs
- 1-1/2 pounds ground beef
- 1/2 cup chopped jalapeno peppers
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 cans (8 ounces each) tomato sauce
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon lemon extract
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1. In a large saucepan, bring water, butter and salt to a boil. Add flour and cornmeal all at once and stir until a smooth ball forms. Remove from the heat; let stand for 5 minutes. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Continue beating until mixture is smooth and shiny. Drop by rounded tablespoonfuls 3 in. apart onto a greased baking sheet.
- 2. Bake at 400° for 30-35 minutes or until golden brown. Remove to a wire rack. Immediately split puffs open; remove tops and set aside. Discard soft dough from inside. Cool puffs.
- 3. Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, cook the beef, jalapenos and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Add the tomato sauce, lemon juice, Worcestershire sauce, pepper and extract. Simmer for 30 minutes.
- 4. Fill puffs with beef mixture and sprinkle with cheese; replace tops. Serve immediately. Yield: 16 servings.
The puffs for Zesty Burger Puffs can be baked a day in advance and refrigerated in an airtight container. To reheat, place on a baking sheet; bake at 325° for 5 to 10 minutes. Split and remove soft dough. Fill with beef mixture and sprinkle with cheese; replace tops.
1 each: 195 calories, 12g fat (6g saturated fat), 93mg cholesterol, 457mg sodium, 10g carbohydrate (1g sugars, 1g fiber), 11g protein.