Zesty Burger Puffs
I first tried these puffs while visiting a friend, who made them for her family as a treat during the Depression. When I see a new recipe, I like to experiment with it to make it my own. - Joyce, Wichita, Kansas
Total TimePrep: 35 min. Bake: 30 min.
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup cornmeal
- 4 eggs
- 1-1/2 pounds ground beef
- 1/2 cup chopped jalapeno peppers
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 cans (8 ounces each) tomato sauce
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon lemon extract
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- In a large saucepan, bring water, butter and salt to a boil. Add flour and cornmeal all at once and stir until a smooth ball forms. Remove from the heat; let stand for 5 minutes. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Continue beating until mixture is smooth and shiny. Drop by rounded tablespoonfuls 3 in. apart onto a greased baking sheet.
- Bake at 400° for 30-35 minutes or until golden brown. Remove to a wire rack. Immediately split puffs open; remove tops and set aside. Discard soft dough from inside. Cool puffs.
- Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, cook the beef, jalapenos and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Add the tomato sauce, lemon juice, Worcestershire sauce, pepper and extract. Simmer for 30 minutes.
- Fill puffs with beef mixture and sprinkle with cheese; replace tops. Serve immediately.
The puffs for Zesty Burger Puffs can be baked a day in advance and refrigerated in an airtight container. To reheat, place on a baking sheet; bake at 325° for 5 to 10 minutes. Split and remove soft dough. Fill with beef mixture and sprinkle with cheese; replace tops.
Editor's NoteWear disposable gloves when cutting hot peppers; the oils can burn skin. Avoid touching your face.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 195 calories, 12g fat (6g saturated fat), 93mg cholesterol, 457mg sodium, 10g carbohydrate (1g sugars, 1g fiber), 11g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Originally published as Zesty Burger Puffs in Taste of Home Ground Beef Cookbook-Book