We use garlic, gingerroot and red pepper flakes to give this side dish a little kick. The long, elegant spears are so attractive.—Taste of Home Test Kitchen
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 20 min.
- 1 pound Broccolini or broccoli spears
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon grated fresh gingerroot
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- Place Broccolini and salt in a large skillet; cover with water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 5-7 minutes or until tender. Drain well. Remove and keep warm.
- In the same skillet, saute garlic and ginger in oil for 1 minute. Add Broccolini and pepper flakes; saute for 1-2 minutes or until heated through.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 96 calories, 7g fat (1g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 222mg sodium, 6g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 fat, 1 vegetable.
Originally published as Broccolini in Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook 2009