Zesty Beef Roast
One day when I ran out of ketchup, I substituted horseradish in the sauce for the meatballs I was making. It was delicious, so next I decided to try it on a roast. It, too, was a winner.
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 2 hours + standing
- 1 beef sirloin tip roast or boneless beef rump roast (3 pounds)
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 cup beef broth
- 1/4 to 1/3 cup prepared horseradish
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup cold water
- In a Dutch oven, brown roast on all sides in oil. Add broth. Spread horseradish over roast; sprinkle with onion, salt and pepper. Cover and bake at 350° for 2 hours or until tender, basting frequently. Remove roast from the pan; let stand for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, pour the pan juices into a large measuring cup; add water to equal 2 cups. Return to pan. Combine flour and cold water until smooth; gradually stir into pan juices. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes. Add additional water if a thinner gravy is desired. Slice roast; serve with gravy.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 278 calories, 12g fat (3g saturated fat), 102mg cholesterol, 255mg sodium, 7g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 1g fiber), 35g protein.
Originally published as Zesty Beef Roast in Country Extra May 1998
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.