One day when I ran out of ketchup, I substituted horseradish in the sauce for the meatballs I was making. It was delicious, so next I decided to try it on a roast. It, too, was a winner.
Recommended: Classic Homemade Soup Recipes
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 boneless sirloin tip or rump roast (about 3 pounds)
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 cup beef broth
- 1/4 to 1/3 cup prepared horseradish
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup cold water
- In a Dutch oven, brown roast in oil. Add broth. Spread horseradish over roast; sprinkle with onion, salt and pepper. Cover and bake at 350° for 2 hours or until tender, basting frequently. Remove roast from the pan; let stand for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, measure the pan juices; add water to equal 2 cups. Return to pan. Combine flour and cold water until smooth; stir into pan juices. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes. Add additional water if a thinner gravy is desired. Slice roast; serve with gravy. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Originally published as Zesty Beef Roast in Country Extra May 1998, p49
Reviews forZesty Beef Roast
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Nov. 20, 2010
"Very good, especially the gravy!"