Yummy Pizza Bake
“After a friend served this filling pizza to my husband and me, it quickly became one of our favorite meals,” recalls Rita McCullough of New Knoxville, Ohio. “I always come home with an empty dish and recipe requests when I take it to an event.”
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 40 min.
- 1-1/2 pounds lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 can (15 ounces) pizza sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 cup fat-free milk
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 10 slices pepperoni, chopped
- In a large skillet, cook the beef, onion, green pepper and mushrooms over medium heat until meat is no longer pink and vegetables are tender; drain. Stir in the pizza sauce, garlic powder and oregano. Transfer to a 13x9-in. baking dish coated with cooking spray; sprinkle with mozzarella cheese.
- In a small bowl, combine the flour, eggs, milk, oil and salt; pour over meat mixture. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese and pepperoni. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 40-45 minutes or until golden brown.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 331 calories, 14g fat (6g saturated fat), 110mg cholesterol, 589mg sodium, 21g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 2g fiber), 28g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 1-1/2 starch, 1 fat.
Originally published as Upside Down Pepperoni Pizza in Light & Tasty October/November 2006
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.