Yuletide Cherry Cookies Recipe
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 package (3 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup crushed crisp rice cereal
- 15 red and/or green maraschino cherries, halved and patted dry
- 1. In a large bowl, cream the butter, cream cheese and sugar. Beat in almond extract. Combine the flour, baking powder and salt; gradually add to the creamed mixture. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour or until easy to handle.
- 2. Shape dough into 1-in. balls; roll in crushed cereal. Place 2 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Bake at 350° for 12-15 minutes or until lightly browned. Immediately press a cherry half into the center of each cookie. Remove to wire racks to cool. Yield: 2-1/2 dozen.
1 each: 72 calories, 4g fat (3g saturated fat), 11mg cholesterol, 69mg sodium, 9g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 0 fiber), 1g protein.
Reviews for Yuletide Cherry Cookies
"Even though the name of the cookies are Yuletide Cherry Cookies, I make these all year long. In my family cookies are one of the favorite desserts and I make all kinds. This is particularly good because of the crunchiness of the crispy rice cereal. We love them!Nancy Foust (_nlfPA)Field Editor PA"
"This cookie has been a tradition in our house. Of course, kids are grown up now, but still make them with some substitutions I use bran flakes for rice cereal I add dates, chopped cherries, and raisins to the batter. So good!"
"AWESOME!!!!!! I would not change a thing I have been making these cookies for Christmas for the last 4 years and I always end up making at least 3 recipes my family and I love love love them"
"Great cookies MINUS the rice cereal. I used colored sugars instead. Red with a green cherry and green with a red cherry. Festive and yummy!"
"I made these cookies for our church's High Tea. I replaced the maraschino cherries with the canned cherry pie filling. Make sure the rice cereal is crushed really fine and barely roll the balls in it. There were delightful!!"
"Oh ! so good,i would roll them in pinioli nuts ."
"I love these cookies and make them every year at Christmas. I go exactly by the recipe given and would not change a thing. Simply Delicious.Kathy"
"Good cookie base,I also skipped the rice crispies...and my Grand children prefer halved gum drops instead of cherries!sccollis"
"Good flavored cookie, but would skip the rice cereal next time and maybe use ground nuts of some sort or nothing at all as the cereal tasted stale the next day."