Yule Log Cookies
The adorable little cookie yule logs will look fantastic on any cookie tray. The chewy brownie-like cookies are coated with chocolate and sprinkled with ground pistachios. The miniature mushrooms are super easy to make.—Taste of Home Test Kitchen
Total TimePrep: 2 hours + chilling Bake: 10 min./batch + standing
- 2/3 cup pistachios
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 4 cups semisweet chocolate chips, divided
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1-1/2 cups packed brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1/4 cup whole milk
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 3-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons baking cocoa
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg white, lightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons shortening
- Ground pistachios
- Miniature marshmallows
- Baking cocoa
- Place the pistachios and sugar in a food processor; cover and process until ground. Set aside. In a microwave, melt 1 cup chocolate chips; stir until smooth.
- In a large bowl, cream butter and brown sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in the eggs, melted chocolate, milk and almond extract. Combine the flour, cocoa, baking powder and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well. Stir in pistachio mixture.
- Divide dough into eight portions. Wrap in plastic and refrigerate for 3 hours or until firm.
- Shape each portion into an 18-in. rope; cut each into six logs. Place 2 in. apart on greased baking sheets. Cut the ends of each log at an angle. Using a small amount of egg white, attach removed pieces to each log, forming branches.
- Bake at 350° for 10-12 minutes or until set. Remove to wire racks.
- In a microwave, melt remaining chocolate chips and shortening; stir until smooth. Working in batches, dip cookies in chocolate, allowing excess to drip off. With the tines of a fork, make strokes in the chocolate to resemble bark. Dust with ground pistachios.
- For mushrooms, pinch half of each marshmallow to form a stem; flatten the other half for cap of mushroom. Dust tops of mushrooms with cocoa. Attach to cookies with a small amount of melted chocolate.
- Let stand until set. Store in an airtight container.
Nutrition Facts1 cookie (calculated without ground pistachios and decorations): 163 calories, 8g fat (4g saturated fat), 14mg cholesterol, 83mg sodium, 23g carbohydrate (15g sugars, 1g fiber), 2g protein.
Originally published as Yule Log Cookies in Taste of Home Christmas Annual 2012
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.