- 1-1/2 cups whole wheat flour
- 3-1/4 cups all-purpose flour, divided
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1-1/2 cups (12 ounces) plain yogurt
- 1/2 cup water
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons honey
- Additional melted butter, optional
- In a large bowl, combine whole wheat flour, 1/2 cup all-purpose flour, yeast, salt and baking soda. In a saucepan over low heat, heat yogurt, water, butter and honey to 120°-130°. Pour over dry ingredients; blend well. Beat on medium speed for 3 minutes. Add enough remaining all-purpose flour to form a soft dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide into 24 portions. Roll each into a 10-in. rope. Shape rope into an “S”, then coil each end until it touches the center. Place 3 in. apart on greased baking sheets. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 30 minutes. Preheat oven to 400°.
- Bake until golden brown, about 15 minutes. If desired, brush tops with additional butter while warm. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool. Yield: 2 dozen.
Reviews forYogurt Yeast Rolls
"Best Ever !!"I first found this recipe in my sample taste of home about 3 years ago still making them today i even make it as a bread they stay very soft for many days love it :)"