Yogurt Wheat Bread Recipe
- 1/2 cup plain yogurt
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 1 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/4 cup toasted wheat germ
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1-2/3 to 2 cups bread flour
- 1. Let yogurt stand at room temperature for 15 minutes. In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add the whole wheat flour, wheat germ, sugar, oil, salt and yogurt. Beat until smooth. Stir in enough bread flour to form a firm dough.
- 2. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a bowl coated with cooking spray, turning once to coat the top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- 3. Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; shape into a loaf. Place in a 9x5-in. loaf pan coated with cooking spray. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 40 minutes.
- 4. Bake at 375° for 35-40 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pan to a wire rack to cool. Yield: 1 loaf (16 slices).
1 slice: 92 calories, 1g fat (0 saturated fat), 1mg cholesterol, 152mg sodium, 17g carbohydrate (1g sugars, 2g fiber), 4g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch.
Reviews for Yogurt Wheat Bread
"I made this bread this afternoon and it is delicious! It is great with a little butter and honey drizzled on it! I plan to make it often. Thank youto the person who sent it in!"
"It is the best wheat recipe I ever had and now my only one. The whole family likes it."
"bread machine recipe: place in bread machine in this order: 1 cup water, 1/2 cup plain yogart, 1 tbsp olive oil, 1 tbsp sugar, 1 tsp salt, 1 cup whole wheat flour, 1/4 cup toasted wheat germ, 2 cups bread flour, make a well in the middle of the flour and place 2 tsp yeast in it. Place on dough setting. Place in loaf pan and bake at 375^ 35-40 minutes. You can convert most any bread recipe. Add wet ingredients first, then dry, yeast last. Most bread machines hold at least 3 cups of flour some 4 1/2 cups."
"You can buy bread Flour at the grocery store in the section with other kinds of flour"
"I too used AP Flour...turned out fine. Very easy to make as well."
"Have not tried it because of arthritis, I can no longer knead the dough. I, too, would like a breadmaker version. How about it?"
"This is my recipe and I like using bread flour but have made it many times with just plain old all- purpose flour and it turns out fine. As for the bread machine question.........dunno. At this house I am the bread machine. I have never used one but I don't see why you couldn't use a machine. There is the right amount of flour (so as to not overload) and there is nothing special about the mixing. I'd give it a try if I had a bread machine."
"Thank you for the useful information. I am an old gal who just used plain old flour. LOL We had flour and self rising flour.Ann"
"What is bread flour:bread flour is a high-gluten flour that has very small amounts of malted barley flour and vitamin C or potassium bromate added. The barley flour helps the yeast work, and the other additive increases the elasticity of the gluten and its ability to retain gas as the dough rises and bakes. bread flour is called for in many bread and pizza crust recipes where you want the loftiness or chewiness that the extra gluten provides. It is especially useful as a component in rye, barley and other mixed-grain breads, where the added lift of the bread flour is necessary to boost the other grains."
"I'd like to make it in a bread machine. Can this be done?"