- 5-1/2 to 6-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup (8 ounces) plain yogurt
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 teaspoon dill weed
- 1/2 teaspoon minced chives
- 1/4 teaspoon each dried oregano, thyme and basil
- In a large bowl, combine 2-1/2 cups flour, yeast, sugar and salt. In a small saucepan, heat water and yogurt to 120°-130°. Add to flour mixture; mix well. Stir in oil, herbs and enough of the remaining flour to form a stiff dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch dough down. Turn onto a floured surface; divide in half. Shape each portion into a loaf. Place in two greased 8x4-in. loaf pans. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Bake at 375° for 35-40 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pans to cool on wire racks. Yield: 2 loaves (32 slices).
Reviews forYogurt Herb Bread
"We enjoy this bread very much. It keeps well in the freezer and gets excellent reviews from our guests."